SPEEWAH has emerged as a hotbed for monster snakes with two 5m scrub pythons caught at separate locations in as many days. On Friday, well-mannered snake catchers from the Australian Venom Zoo waited two hours for a python to finish its meal of a wallaby at a home in the leafy suburb near Cairns. “We were called out to move it off the property because the owner had chickens and small dogs,” said venomous-animals expert Stuart Douglass. “We moved it to a place where it could digest its meal and have a happy life. “We’re always concerned it’s going to regurgitate but this one didn’t … “It’s really important for them to get one really good meal at least once a year – big snakes need to eat a lot of food.” At 2am Saturday, snake catchers were called to another Speewah property where they found a 5.1m python with an appetite for duck. “The python was searching the perimeter of the duck enclosure trying to get in and the ducks were making a serious racket,” said Cairns Snake Catchers owner Matt Hagan. “The owner came down and there was a huge python trying to push the fence in. “It had bush ticks all around its eyes, so we brought it back to Cairns to remove them all.” The 27kg snake was released in Barron Gorge National Park on Saturday. Mr Hagan said it was unusual but not unheard of to have two big captures in the same area so close together. “The bigger ones have better chance of surviving there than in suburban Cairns where they have to cross roads all the time,” he said. “October is a very busy time for snake catchers generally. “We sometimes get these clusters of activity in certain suburbs, I’m not exactly sure why but it does happen.” Click to read full article
Dominic Geiger, The Cairns Post October 11, 2016 5:00am USING a rake to pick up one of the world’s deadliest snakes might not be on the average person’s bucket list, but for recent arrivals to the Far North the danger isn’t always obvious. Matthew Hagan from Cairns Snake Catcher was alarmed when he received a photograph from a Gordonvale family, recently arrived from Europe, who had caught a death adder and put it in a bucket. “The family had young children playing in the yard and the snake was noticed and subsequently caught by their father,” Mr Hagan said. “After making sure the man had definitely not come in contact with the death adder, I explained that it was a dangerously venomous snake that is best dealt with by a professional.” Warmer weather and the breeding season are making reptiles more active around Cairns and Mr Hagan warned people to never approach a snake. Click to read full article
Dominic Geiger The Cairns Post November 24, 2015 6:25AM A CAIRNS snake-catcher’s car was in need of a new air freshener when a scrub python had a bout of motion sickness after devouring a family’s much-loved pet chicken. Matt Hagan, of Cairns Snake Catchers, was removing the 3.5-metre reptile from the home of a distressed Whitfield family, who had walked in on the snake halfway through its meal. Click here to read full story
IM CAMPBELL The Cairns Post August 31, 2015 12:00A A TWO-metre carpet python was not the styling feature staff at a major furniture store had in mind when preparing to open for the weekend rush. The coastal carpet python had slithered in among leather couches in the showroom where it was discovered by staff on Saturday morning. Click here to read full story
Bianca Keegan The Cairns Post February 05, 2015 7:40AM A FAR Northern snake catcher has been run off his feet due to an unwanted baby boom playing out in suburban Cairns. Three households – in Redlynch, Holloways Beach and Caravonica – woke up this week to find dozens of fanged reptiles littering their homes. Cairns snake catcher Matt Hagan (pictured inset) received a panicked call from one resident claiming he had “a bathroom full of taipans”. Click here to read full story
The 1.5m Brown Tree snake was found outside a Cairns home on Saturday Matt Hagan from Cairns Snake Catchers was trying to relocate it when he realised the snake had died still latching onto its neck He took the snake to the vet to determine a cause of death, but could only find swelling nears its puncture wounds By Emily Crane for Daily Mail Australia Published: 11:00 EST, 13 November 2014 | Updated: 13:04 EST, 13 November 2014 Click here to read full story Did this snake kill itself using its own venom? It certainly looked that way when Matt Hagan from Cairns Snake Catchers found the dead snake on Saturday still plunging its fangs into its own neck. He was called to a home at Earville, just south-west of Cairns, after a woman found the 1.5 metre Brown Tree snake on her doorstep. ‘Usually when the snake is outside, it goes away after a while and no one every sees it again. But she said it was still wriggling after half an hour so I went over to relocate it,’ Mr Hagan told Daily Mail Australia. ‘I could immediately see something wasn’t quite right with the snake. When I picked it up I noticed it was still biting down firmly on its neck. ‘I thought what on earth – it looked like it had bitten its own neck and died.’ Click here to read full story
DANIEL BATEMAN The Cairns Post August 15, 2014 7:28AM THE roof cavity of a Cairns home made the perfect hide-away for a group of giant snakes. Reptile removalist Matt Hagan, from Cairns Snake Catcher, was initially called to the Caravonica home last Tuesday to shift a snake spotted on the roof. After a prolonged struggle in the rain, Mr Hagan removed a 4.3m long scrub python, releasing it later back into the wild. Click here to read full story
Integer gravida eros ut ante. Proin vulputate in, odio. Donec eleifend velit. Suspendisse eget metus. Proin non mattis vel, ornare quam. Aliquam vitae mauris. Nam eu nunc ut urna. Pellentesque fringilla gravida.